SCHEDEL, Hartmann (1440-1514). Liber Chronicarum, in German: Das Buch der Chroniken und Geschichten mit figuren und pildnussen. Translated from Latin by Georg Alt (c.1450-1510). Nuremberg: Anton Koberger, 23 December 1493. Imperial 2. (465 x 315m). Collation: [110 26 3-54 6-96 102 114 12-146 152 16-176 18-234 24-276 282 296 304 31-336 342 354 36-506 51-524 53-566 572] (1/1r title, verso blank, 1/2r table, 2/1r text, 56/6 blank, 57/1v-2r map of Europe, 57/2v colophon). 297 leaves (of 298, without blank 56/6). 59-64 lines and headline, table and parts of the text in two columns. Types: 24:111G (text), 9:165G (headlines). Woodcut calligraphic title, c. 1809 woodcut illustrations from 645 (Sidney Cockerell's count for the Latin edition) by Michael Wolgemut, Wilhelm Pleydenwurff and their workshop, including the young Albrecht Durer, initial opening text in blue with white modeling on a punched gold ground within fictive frame with floral extension, 3- to 6-line initials in red, red paragraph marks and capital strokes, armorial shields on 2/1v filled [see below]. (Title with marginal soiling, waterstaining and small repairs, occasional light soiling, browning and marginal waterstaining, a few small wormholes, repaired neat marginal tears in about 5 leaves.) Contemporary Nuremberg binding by the Schedel Meister [Kyriss 112], blindstamped calf over unbevelled wooden boards, title tooled on upper cover, chased brass centre- and cornerpieces and catches, later paper spine label and endpapers (lacking clasps, a little worn and repaired). Provenance: Stromer von Reichenbach, Rieter and Glockengiesser family (illuminated arms). FIRST GERMAN EDITION OF THE NUREMBERG CHRONICLE IN A CONTEMPORARY NUREMBERG BINDING AND ORIGINALLY OWNED BY A PROMINENT NUREMBERG FAMILY. THE COATS-OF-ARMS PAINTED ON 2/1V ARE THOSE OF THE STROMER-RIETER-GLOCKENGIESSER FAMILY. ULMANN STROMER (1329-1407) HAD FOUNDED THE FIRST PERMANENT PAPER MILL NORTH OF THE ALPS, AT NUREMBERG; IT IS DEPICTED IN THE CHRONICLE itself in the right foreground of the famous double-page view of the city. His descendant and namesake (d. 1509) married first Susanna Rieter (c. 1475) and then Katharina Glockengiesser (1487). The German edition is rarer than the Latin; rarer still are copies retaining a contemporary binding, here by a shop associated with the Koberger workshop. Planned simultaneously with the Latin edition, the German edition was completed about 5 months later. It was printed in about half as many copies as the Latin (which had wider currency through Europe), and that ratio is reflected in survival rates of the two editions. A 1509 final settlement of accounts shows that the editions were distributed via agents as far afield as London, Paris, Buda, Prague, Milan and Florence and as close to home as Augsburg. A trial sheet discovered in the late 1990s showed that Koberger had first contemplated printing the German edition with his ninth German Bible type (cf. C. Reske, 'Eine neue Entdeckung zur Druckgeschichte der Schedelschen Weltchronik', Gutenberg-Jahrbuch, 1997, pp. 95-106). H *14510; BMC II, 437 (IC. 7458); CIBN S-163; BSB-Ink. S-197; Bod-Inc. S-110; Schreiber 5205; Klebs 890.1; Goff S-309.