The whole of the Psalms faithfully translated into English Metre. 12mo. Vellum. This is a perfect copy of the first book printed in North America, and in the original old vellum binding. Printed by Stephen Daye, Cambridge, 1640. Prince, in his preface to the revised edition of 1558, gives the following account of its origin, and of the first edition printed by Daye. "By 1636, there was come over thither, near thirty learned and pious ministers, educated in the Universities of England, and from the same exalted Principles of Scripture purity in Religious Worship, they set themselves to translate the Psalms, and other Scripture Songs, into English Metre, as near as possible to the inspired original. They committed this work especially to Rev. Mr. Weld, and the Rev. John Elliot, of Roxbury, well acquainted with the Hebrew, and the Greek also. They finished the Psalms in 1640, which were first printed by Dr. Daye that year, and had the honor of being the first book printed in North America, and as far as I find, in the whole New World."
Catalogue of the Valuable Private Library of the late Edward A. Crowninshield, embracing in the collection a large number of valuable and rare books; choice editions, or elegant large paper copies of standard English authors; Rare works on the early history of America; Early Voyages and Travels, including first editions of Purchas and Hakluyt; the first book printed in North America, “THE BAY PSALM BOOK;” Eliot’s Indian Bible; Mather’s Magnalia; suberb copies of works on bibliography, including those of Didbin and Brydges; works from the Strawberry Hill and Lee Priory Presses; early printed books; rare copies of first editions, including the poems of SHAKESPEARE AND MILTON; historical and literary society collections; choice works in elegant bindings, many of them by Hayday, and a small collection of autograph letters, to be sold by auction on Tuesday, November 1, 1859, and three following days, in the library salesroom of Leonard & Co., Chapman Hall, [Chapman Place], School Street, Boston. The entire collection was purchased by Henry Stevens for $10,000.